Sunday, August 6, 2017

A Simple Lesson in Acceptance

I was sitting in my front room this afternoon, looking out the window over our unlandscaped backyard just reflecting on the changes that have come throughout these past two years.
We have moved into a beautiful new home, the boys have found amazing friends, the siblings are all blending in a way that I never thought possible, hearts have been open, acceptance has occurred and life is moving along at the speed of light.
As I was making dinner tonight, our youngest came into the kitchen and sat down on the stools near the counter.  He had the biggest grin on his face. 
"What's up?" I asked as I shaped dough for rolls.
"T and I have been playing upstairs like real brothers," his excitement was infectious.
"Really?" I responded, setting down the dough ball and looking him full in the face.
"Yep! We played swords, and he pinned me, but I pulled out my dagger, then he grabbed it, so I pulled out my other dagger, he grabbed that one too, so I pulled out my third weapon and he asked me how many weapons I had.  Then he tickled me!" The light in those blue eyes was brilliant.  
"I think we're finally real brothers."
"You've been real brothers for a while buddy."
"Yeah, but you know your real brothers when you can laugh and joke and tickle and pretend fight.  That's what makes you real brothers," He then hopped off the stool and ran back upstairs.
T was gone when Eric and I married.  He had been serving a mission for our church for two years.  He was serving when his mother died.  He was serving when his Dad and I met.  He was serving when we got married.  The home he came back to was completely different than the one he left.  I was very nervous when we all showed up that airport to welcome him home.
Would he like us?
Was it all too much?
How was this going to work?
When T came down the escalator, he had a big smile on his face.  He hugged his Dad, his sister and his younger brother.  Then Parker walked over and T hugged him too. He also hugged the two younger ones.  I was completely choked up by this display of acceptance that was so unexpected.  He also hugged me.  He didn't have to.
He could have been bitter.
He could have been angry.
He could have taken all the time he needed to slowly ease into this new blended world, but he didn't. 
I've never asked him why, although some day I would like to. Of all of our children, the one who was out serving for most of the large transitions walked into the middle of it all and never missed a step. He's loved, served, worked, and tried from the first moment to accept our family just as it is.  He has taught me quite a lot about how easy it is to allow things to be.  
In the end, they all work out- just as they were meant to. 
Much love,
Kami

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! I'm glad you're here and that you feel like commenting. Please be a positive part of the story. Thank you!